Business/Organization: Tombstone Courthouse State Historic Park
Contact Phone Number: 457-3311
Website Address: www.TombstoneCourthouse.com
Facebook Address: www.facebook.com/TombstoneCourthouse
Location: 223 Toughnut Street, Tombstone AZ 85638
Description: Built in 1882 in the shape of a Roman cross, the two -story Victorian structure once housed the offices of the sheriff, recorder, treasurer, board of supervisor, jail and courtrooms of Cochise County. Today exhibits portray the authentic history of Tombstone as a frontier silver mining boomtown including a replica of the gallows where seven men were hanged.
Business/Organization: St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Contact Phone Number: (520) 458-2602 - Tony Roselli, Sr. Warden
Location: 55 North 3rd Street, Tombstone AZ 85638
Services: Sunday at 10:30 a.m.
For those interested in holding a wedding or special event at St. Paul's, please contact Rev. John Leech at (520) 591-1894 ... firstname.lastname@example.org
For historic tours please contact Jon Donahue at (858) 775-4882 ... email@example.com.
History: St. Paul’s held its first services on June 18, 1882 with Endicott Peabody officiating. It had just been completed at a cost of $5000. Services had been held in the courtroom of the Mining Exchange Building in Grid Block on Fremont Street until the 1882 fire broke out all the windows. Endicott Peabody, 25 years old and fresh out of seminary school, did much of the fundraising to build St. Paul’s. It is said he did fundraising in the saloons and gambling halls where he received substantial donations.
This beautiful old building still stands almost exactly as it was in 1882. The original bell tower was struck by lightning and was replaced by a lower brick tower. The structure is of hand formed adobe brick, stuccoed in 1970 to protect the adobe. The ceiling and roof were constructed of timber hauled in by ox carts from the Chiricahua Mountains and are still protecting this historic landmark.
The stained glass windows, the pews, altar rail are all the originals unchanged over the years. The light fixtures although now electrified are the originals that came off a chipper ship anchored in San Francisco. The piano dates from 1891 and the altar cross was donated in 1905.
Endicott Peabody went on to become Headmaster of the prestigious Groton School attended by Franklin D. Roosevelt and other boys of wealthy families. George Parsons, Diarist, was the first member to be confirmed in St. Paul’s.
St. Paul’s is the oldest Protestant church in Arizona. St. Paul's has never closed its doors and continues to serve the people of Tombstone and the surrounding area to this day.
The building was added to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1971.
Business/Organization: Rose Tree Museum and Gifts
Contact Phone Number: 520-457-3326
Location: 118 S 4th St, Tombstone, AZ 85638
Facebook Address: www.facebook.com/TombstoneRoseFestival
Description: Home of the world's largest rose tree. The "Lady Banksia" rose was planted in 1886 and covers approx 9000 square feet. Museum has many relics from the pioneers of Tombstone in the 1880s. Closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Days.
Business/Organization: O.K. CORRAL
Contact Phone Number: 520-457-3456
Website Address: www.okcorral.com
Facebook Address: www.facebook.com/OK.corral
Physical Location: 326 East Allen Street, Tombstone AZ 85638
Description: World-famous site of the 1881 Gunfight at the O.K. Corral® in Tombstone, AZ. Enjoy daily reenactments of the famous Gunfight at 2 pm, with Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday. Life-sized animated figures of the gunfighters are located on the very spot where the Gunfight began. Visit our four museums. See Doc Holliday's room and admire over 100 of C.S. Fly's photos of 1880s Tombstone and the Apache Geronimo. Actor Vincent Price tells Tombstone's story in Tombstone's Historama. Handicapped accessible. Admission. Kids under 6 free.
Enjoy daily reenactments of the famous Gunfight at 12:00 noon, 2:00 p.m., and 3:30 p.m.
Business/Organization: Boothill Graveyard & Giftshop
Contact Phone Number: 520-457-3300
Website Address: www.TombstoneBootHill.com
Facebook Address: www.facebook.com/boothillgraveyardtombstone
Physical Location: 408 N. HWY 80 - Fremont Street, Tombstone AZ 85638
Description: Boot Hill was founded in 1878 on a slight hill just north west of the city. This historical cemetery was the burial ground, for all of Tombstones earliest pioneers.
The name Boot Hill comes from the fact that many of these graves were filled with people that died suddenly or violently with their boots on! Some two hundred fifty known people were buried in Boothill, before it officially closed its doors in 1884.
All of the graves are not marked in their exact location. For many years this famous graveyard sat dormant, falling victim to the many elements. The original wooden grave markers were badly decomposed and unreadable in modern times. Reality is some of the graves could be off a couple of feet, one way or the other, but most are quite close to their exact location. Over the years, Boothill has been extensively studied. The graves not already marked with a headstone, have been remarked close to there original locations, using city records and charts.
Today, many still read unknown, because in the early days people didn’t carry any type of identification. If a man was found dead and not identified by his family or friends, it was customary for the undertaker to display the dead man on a cooling slab in his parlor window, so the towns people passing by could try to identify him.
Some people were only identified or known by their nicknames.
Today, Boot Hill is a favorite stop for Tombstone tourists. It is located on State Hwy 80 in Tombstone, Arizona.
Tombstone Boot Hill is managed by the Tombstone Chamber of Commerce
SELF GUIDED TOURS
Hours: Daily 9 am - 6 pm.
NIGHTLY GHOST TOURs
HOURS: DAILY 6:15 PM - 8 PM.
(CALL TO VERIFY)
PHONE: 520-457-3421 ADMISSION: $20
Many famous and notorious legends frequented the Bird Cage. Performers such as Lillian Russell, Lotta Crabtree, and Eddie Foy Sr. have performed on the stage along with Fatima, the belly dancer. Others like the Clantons, Earps, Bat Masterson, Doc Holliday and even Pete Spence, laid down many silver coins for a shot of whiskey. The basement was set up as a poker room and where the story is told that the longest-running poker game in history was played there. This game was played 24 hours, and apparently lasted eight years, five months, three days, with over 10 million dollars exchanging hands. Some of the participants were Doc Holliday, Bat Masterson, Diamond Jim Brady, and George Hearst, with the house getting 10 percent of the profits. The game ended when the ground water seeped into the mines, flooding many of the buildings. In 1889 the town went bust, along with the Bird Cage Theatre and the building had to be closed.
More than 50 years later, in 1934, the Bird Cage reopened as a tourist attraction with everything still in place. It is one of Tombstone's best-preserved pieces of history. Walk through the theaters’ doors and it feels like you’ve stepped back in time. The red-draped, gold-trimmed balcony boxes (called “cribs”) are still intact, as are the stage curtains, bar, paintings, piano, jukebox, and card-laden poker tables.
John Clum was a colorful character, once an Indian agent on the San Carlos reservation. He was elected Mayor and served as Postmaster before selling the Epitaph and leaving Tombstone in 1882.
The Epitaph has had many owners over the years. It moved from a two story adobe structure next to the Grid Block, on Fremont to its present location on 5th Street in 1927. It was purchased by Tombstone Historic Adventures headed by Harold Love in the 1960s. It is still owned and operated by the Love family.
So much of Tombstone’s history was written and preserved by the newspaper. Daily events, social events, fashions, church services, births and deaths, disasters (natural and unnatural), and economic conditions are preserved on their pages.